The veganised version of a really popular German cake.
It was very subtle and delicate, I made this for the Frome market. Unfortunately only sold one piece but I got the approval of Dan’s nan who is 102 years old!
For the crust:
250g plain flour
125g vegan margarine
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb. of soda
zest of 1 lemon
a pinch of salt
For the filling:
250g blue poppy seeds
250g (brown) cane sugar
250ml soya milk
50g cous cous
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
+some flaked almonds to decorate
1. start by making the crust, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, the zest of one lemon and vegan margarine together
2. work the mixture with your hands until you have obtained a solid dough
3. i found there was no need to add any milk to this because the type of vegan margarine i used is rather soft
4. knead for a bit until you have a nice shiny ball, wrap it with cling film and place it in the fridge for about an hour or longer
5. the filling is made by combining the poppy seeds and sugar
6. place the cous cous and raisins in a jug
7. heat up your soya milk and then pour it over the cous cous and raisins
8. add the vanilla extract and after 15/20 mins liquidise everything until you have a very smooth mixture
9. pour it over the poppy seeds and sugar and start mixing well
10. take the crust out of the fridge, knead it into your tart tin and make sure you allow enough space for the filling to go in (e.g. do not keep it too thick, but not too thin either. and don’t be afraid of trimming the extra dough)
11. fill with the poppy seed mix and place in a preheated oven for a good 40/45 mins at 200C or depending on your oven for less
you will have to allow to cool down for some hours before cutting it. i got dan to trim the sides of the crust off as it had fallen over the edges of the tin which he then covered with flaked almonds. i thought it was going to look bad but in fact, it looks stunning!
the flavour was fantastic, sweet and crunchy but not too sweet and the lemony crust added a really nice touch.